Build a Wall Mounted Desk

2018-03-10T16:18:44+00:00 June 14th, 2016|Desks, Furniture, Office, Popular, Videos|24 Comments

Today I built two brackets from 1×4’s to be used in conjunction with an Ikea LINNMON desktop to make an AMAZING (subjective) wall mounted desk. A true underdog story.

Difficulty:
Beginner

Time Required:
One Day

Cost:
Under $50

Material Cut ListPurchase ListTools RequiredSafetyRelated Posts
Main Bracket:
2 – 1 × 4 @ 24″
2 – 1 × 4 @ 23-1/4″
Angled Mitered Supports:
2 – 1 × 4 @ 24″ both ends cut to 45 degrees
1 – Ikea LINNMON Desktop (59-1/8″ wide) –  $29.99 (as of 3/1/17)
Lumber:
2 – 1 x 4 x 8′
Hardware:
1-1/4″ Pocket Screws
1″ Pocket Screws
4 – 3″ Hex Head Lag Bolt
4 – White 3/4″ Caps
Paint & Finish:
Minwax Polyshades Gloss “Mission Oak”
Minwax Polycrylic Semi-Gloss Polyurethane

24 Comments

1. Thomas June 14, 2016 at 6:35 am - Reply

Love it! What material did you use for the desktop?

• Rick June 14, 2016 at 6:42 am - Reply

Thanks Thomas! It’s an Ikea LINNMON Desktop (59-1/8″ wide). It was $29.99 and super lightweight (which I thought would be a good idea since I would be wall mounting it). Because it was so cheap, the desk really only cost less than $50 to make, which is pretty great!

2. Skip August 24, 2016 at 3:00 pm - Reply

Do you think you could provide the link to that IKEA desktop, I “see” some, but not that size you mentioned?

• Rick August 26, 2016 at 11:12 am - Reply
      • Skip September 5, 2016 at 10:42 am - Reply

Oh, great, you replied and with the link…Super Awesome dude, thanks and way to get back to your visitors, hat tipped for that! 😉

• Skip September 5, 2016 at 2:23 pm - Reply

Bro…I am livid right now (lol) my inch and a quarter screws blew clean thru my 23 and a quarter inch board…what did I do wrong 🙁 I mean, my whole project is canned now cause i just purchased the two 1x4x8s…..Deeply depressed and saddened

• Rick September 6, 2016 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Did you set the kreg jig up correctly?

• Rick September 6, 2016 at 1:08 pm - Reply

Go here and look at the “settings” page. Direct your attention to section (1) Depth Collar Adjustment. Make sure you set the “step” of the kreg bit to the marking that corresponds to the thickness of your wood (3/4″). This is a common mistake when setting up the kreg jig and could have caused you to drill too deep into your 23-1/4″ piece. Let me know if that helps!

3. Fernando Muñiz October 3, 2016 at 3:04 am - Reply

Hello, do you have the plans? Because i want do this 😀 thanks

• Rick October 11, 2016 at 5:03 pm - Reply

Hey Fernando, The downloadable step by step .PDF plans aren’t finished yet. But this post has everything you need to build it: material purchase list, cut list and the tools required. Follow along with the video and you should be in good shape!

4. Connor Windslow October 11, 2016 at 9:16 am - Reply

Hi, I’d like to do a similar project but I don’t have many of the required tools nor the money to buy them right now. Is there a way to do the same build but with more modest tools?

• Rick October 11, 2016 at 5:05 pm - Reply

Hey Connor! You could certainly complete this wall mounted desk build with limited tools. A simple hand saw, combination square, drill with bits, wood screws and glue would suffice.

• David December 28, 2016 at 1:53 pm - Reply

what kind of bits would you prefer, as i dont have all the tools and will probably do it this way as well

5. Sheen October 14, 2016 at 12:18 am - Reply

What type of bolts did you use to mount to the wall?

• Rick December 12, 2016 at 4:43 pm - Reply

4 – 3″ Hex Head Lag Bolts

6. David December 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm - Reply

how was the table top connected? the video doesn’t go into details

• Rick January 8, 2017 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Attached with screws through the pre-drilled holes in the top of the bracket. Once you attach the brackets to the wall place the table top on the brackets, align and secure it into place!

7. Rob Curtis January 8, 2017 at 10:26 am - Reply

Hi Rick,
    After looking at lots of ideas, designs, ect we found yours and thought this would be the best simple, sturdy, and low cost design. So we are going to attempt this project for the office with out the Kreg Jig. We got the drills, miter saw, clamps, and the rest of the supplies, and we might use a piece of Birch plywood for the table top with a clear coating. Anyway, wish us luck and thanks for yer idea.
    Cheers,
    RC

• Rick January 8, 2017 at 12:42 pm - Reply

Hey Rob! Glad to hear! I’m typing to you on my wall mounted desk right now and it’s held up really well since this summer. It’s much messier now, though!

Kreg does make a mini jig for under $20 for smaller projects like this. But driving screws through the back of the two connecting pieces to make the “L” should work fine. Best of luck and feel free to send me a message of your finished project on my facebook page, I’d love to see your work!

8. Lucas Saija April 10, 2017 at 2:55 pm - Reply

Hey rick, how much weight does the desk supports? And how thick is the dry wall?

• Rick April 11, 2017 at 9:05 am - Reply

Hi Lucas! I don’t have exact numbers, but quite a bit of weight. I have both brackets bolted into wall studs that are behind the drywall. I wouldn’t put my computer tower up there, but I lean on the desk regularly while it’s full of my books and notebooks, keyboard etc and there’s been no issues.

9. Mostafa ashraf October 29, 2017 at 7:53 am - Reply

Hey rick, i have a simple yet might be annoying request can you write me the wood dimensions in centimeters in a reply please cause i dont seem to understand this form of dimension it’s not common where i’m from , thanks in advance

10. Shaun March 10, 2018 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Rick, thanks so much for the post – it was exactly what I was looking for after a long search. The video seems to have disappeared though…I literally just bought all my supplies and now can’t find your excellent video! Am I a complete dolt or is something amiss? And will the video come back?