Peel and Stick Faux Wood Vinyl Flooring

I sold Swole City. It’s true. But the seeds of my home gym tranquilly floated into my laundry room and gave yield to new flooring, a fancy light fixture, cabinets and a bench/storage unit. And some new running shoes!

So I’m the guy who hates vinyl floor and linoleum. Specifically the faux hardwood type. But I’m also the guy who spent a ton of money on 3/4″ hickory hardwood for a house I only lived in for 16 months. And as hard as it is to admit this, it’s tough being two guys at once! I can’t be the hardwood snob (worst house flipper ever) AND hater of inexpensive alternatives that LOOK nice at the same time. It’s me or him.

I chose the other man this weekend. And I’ll never love…him again. I feel like I’ve taken this hyperbole to the end of it’s road. But I’ve done it justice.

For $200 bucks I transformed this gross old linoleum dungeon into a fresh, bright, trendy…place to wash dirty clothes. Here’s how it went down:

I purchased some peel and stick faux wood vinyl flooring. I was super anxious about this stuff because I’ve heard horror stories and have SEEN hack-jobs. But I dunno…I’ve got student debt, man. So I measured my laundry room’s square footage and figured out how many “planks” (lol) were required for the room. Total cost: $50. So I took the laminate leap.

Lay laminate out just like you would real hardwood. In case you forgot, here are a few things to keep in mind…

+ Never line joints up next to each other.
+ Leave an expansion gap along the perimeter of the room.
+ Give yourself 3-6″ distance from each joint, especially if two planks are next to each other.
+ Take your time with cutting around door trim. This is what separates the hack jobs from the hallelujahs. Just thought of that one, love it.

OK! SO! Taking up trim is a must. It will give the room a seamless, professional look and it only takes an extra half hour and $15 bucks on the budget for new trim. Usually I try to keep the old trim but the builders of this house used door trim on the floors and this stuff has never been cleaned. Like ever.

I’m the guy who updates rooms after 20 years of neglect and then moves out a few months later. Maybe I can get a tissue sponsorship since I cry so much.

Use a utility knife to cut the old caulk away from the wall…

Then jam a flat head screw driver behind the trim to start prying the trim off. Put your crow bar in there and make your way down the board. You’ll notice that some of the caulk stretches and hangs on, so use your utility knife while you make your way around the baseboards.

Once all the trim is removed, I clean up the area with my shop-vac and prep for the floor by cleaning it with a Swiffer wet (why not call it a WET Swiffer?). Once the floor dries I’m ready to roll…er…stick. Peel and stick. Yeah.

So I took some prelim measurements from the washer/dryer to the far wall to see if things are squared up. And they’re a couple 16ths out of square, but that’s no big deal. The most critical piece is the first one so that your layout is square. The worst thing that can happen is you’re halfway through the project and you notice things aren’t straight. Just give up if you ever do that. Your DIY days are over. See you at Ikea.

RELAX! I was just kidding! I’m trying to see if you’ve got enough heart to DIY. You’re giving me mixed signals here.

I had some leftover Lido green from my daughter’s room and it will work PERFECTLY in this room. There are no windows or any trace of natural sunlight, so a bright color is a must. I threw on (2) coats of this because one coat of paint is for the faint of heart.

So yeah, the worst and most miserable part about installing this vinyl floor was cutting around the door trim. With hardwood I would use my multitool the cut the door trim, but because the vinyl is so thin, that seemed like overkill. Perhaps I’m being a little lazy? Perhaps you’re being a little judgmental!

Use your holiday card sketch paper as a template. All the chic DIY’ers are doing it.

Transfer it to your planky plank.

I spent more time on this corner piece than I did the whole rest of the room!

If you’re all out of holiday card scrap paper, try this.IMAG3133
Trace a piece of old gross trim onto your plank…

Uh huh…

And there you go. Another beautifully executed moulding cut! We’re cutting and pasting like 2nd grade BOSSES.

Peel and stick on, sister. Peel and stick on.

Stagger those joints! I’ll know if you don’t. When you make your way to the washer/dryer, have a few towels ready to put under the legs to slide the units forward. You don’t want to scratch up your brand new faux hardwood vinyl. Faux real.

To say that this vinyl transformed the space is an understatement. Don’t understatement me like that bro!

You know what…you’re alright in my book peel and stick faux wood vinyl flooring. You’re alright.

Toddler approved! I’m kidding. She didn’t even notice. She’s more excited about her reflection on the washing machine door. OHH…to be a kid again. Whenever I gawk at my reflection my wife gives me dirty looks!

Check back soon for the really trendy post on the light fixture I hacked to work with the unusual vent fan/light combo I was stuck with in this room. Did I mention it’s trendy? Along for the ride is the trim installation, which is considerably less trendy but much more practical. It’s a good balance.

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

Cathy Grahamreply
February 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM

I used this same type of peel-n-stick vinyl plank flooring in my last house. It was so easy to install, cleaned up beautifully, and was durable beyond belief! Vinyl has gotten bad rep in the past, but these new vinyl provide lots of style options and look great.

February 18, 2015 at 12:02 PM
– In reply to: Cathy Graham

Thanks for sharing your experience! I’ve been wondering how this stuff is going to hold up over time. But you’re right, it’s gotten such a bad rep in the past. That being said, it completely blew me away with how easy it was to install and how NICE it looks!

February 19, 2015 at 05:02 PM

Great job as usual! And I really love your model!!

Tyrone Bartonreply
April 07, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Would you use this to do a whole floor level, or only small rooms or closets? I need to replace carpet upstairs in my house (downstairs wood and tile) because of my kids extreme allergies and asthma. Could I do peel and stick a whole floor? How thick was it? Applies good to plywood?

April 09, 2015 at 11:04 AM
– In reply to: Tyrone Barton

Hi Tyrone- I would probably only use this material for smaller rooms or closets. I think you’d be better off using an engineered hardwood or laminate for larger rooms. The vinyl was fairly thick at about 2mm. It would certainly stick to plywood, but where I think you’d run into trouble is any bumps or inconsistencies in the plywood will show up. So I think your best bet would be engineered or laminate. These materials would also be great for kids with allergies and asthma. Hope that helps!

Tyrone Bartonreply
April 09, 2015 at 01:04 PM

Thanks Rick! I was leaning the laminate way (unless of course I can find a super good deal on hardwood) but was intrigued by the peel and stick because of the ease and financially cheaper, but I don’t know anyone that has used it. — With the laminate I may need to hire someone to do it (because I do have time constraints and would prefer my children not be there for actual installment, cutting, cleaning, et cetera…).

But I will probably try to save myself some time and money by pulling up carpet, tack strips, foam, and staples.

April 10, 2015 at 08:04 AM
– In reply to: Tyrone Barton

No problem! I agree the peel and stick is an intriguing option. I just couldn’t imagine doing it in larger bedrooms. You will save yourself a TON of money by doing the demo work yourself. Make sure you’ve got a utility knife, knee pads, a crowbar, screwdriver, pliers and some eye protection. You’ll be good to go! I touch on it a bit in the middle of this post: The Master Bedroom Project.

Lori Jonesreply
January 15, 2017 at 07:01 PM

Rick just a FYI I have been watching a number of house flips and they are using this stuff in the whole house! As for the upstairs of the lady’s house, I would think if the floor was sanded flat that that would take care of any lumps or bumps,yes??? I also have seen where they have sanded the floors and stained it! The plywood really look pretty nice! I was thinking of doing it in my up stairs craft room. But it is above the garage and an a bit hesitant because it gets really cold here. We have wall to wall rug right now. But that need to be replaced! Any suggestions??? Oh I could put the real hardwood cause of the plywood floor!! My house sits on a concrete slab, so was unable to have hardwood put down. Well I could but the cost $$$$ was to much!! ☹️☹️ Sorry for the ramble. Just found you post and really like it!!

January 27, 2017 at 02:01 PM
– In reply to: Lori Jones

Hi Lori! Yeah this stuff is super versatile and inexpensive! Though for large expanses I would probably go a solid or engineered hardwood. Sometimes you can catch good sales on engineered hardwood and that would probably fair pretty well over the slab!

February 02 at 09:02 AM

Looks great. I’m about to install vinyl tiles. Odd question…what is the design on your old cabinet doors? Is that some sort of Applica or maybe grout stenciled?

February 02 at 11:02 AM

Rick, I started blog stalking you today starting with this well informed post. Totally enjoy your writing, especially after bringing along a cup of coffee. I will give this stuff a try in our small hall bathroom plus use a wood graining paint technique on the walls. Another thing you’ve inspired me to do is spiff up my own blog and update my design. So good on ya, Rick. Carry on!

eileen mannreply
February 02 at 03:02 PM

Where did you purchase the flooring? What is the name of the color and manufacturer? Thanks?