Back in April I re-framed a cheap full-length mirror. My buddy Joe liked it so much that he asked me to help him with a DIY Mirror Frame for his place. Since I just finished wrapping up the room renovation and I’m still in town, why not!
Even though I’ve got things down to a general science back home, there were a few uh…challenges this time around…
One great thing about working at my parent’s house is the trees! I found a nice spot in their front yard to set-up the gear. Though working without your own tools is challenging. My dad has most of what I needed, but trying to find everything proved difficult.
Aww…look at those baby rust-oleum cans!
The total for all the materials was $36.92. So this is a great weekend or half-day project for under $40.
Time to set this baby bird free!
Some of the glue peeled off fairly easily…
The others needed a little persuading…
And some needed my ofla knife!
Finally free from its inhumane restraints!
Sanded the two 1x4x8’s with 80grit paper.
And proceeded to stain with the rust-oleum dark walnut.
Well look who finally decided to show up! Everyone, let’s give Joe an extremely slow golf clap!
Thanks for joining us, now that all the hard stuff is done!
We used my dad’s miter saw to cut the above sizes. What we want is the mirror resting on the frame at least a half-inch on each side.
As I mentioned earlier, there were some hiccups in the process. Since I’m without clamps (and time) here in PA, we used glue and the nail gun to attach the miter joints. But somebody…ahem…JOE spilled his Amstel Light on the nail gun!
Way to go, Joe!
Fortunately, it was only on the part that houses the nail strips. So we easily wiped that portion off. But the nail gun wouldn’t function for a good 10 minutes, causing a minor panic. As it turned out, the gas cartridge just needed changed. Such bad timing!
Here’s Joe cleaning up some of the joints with 80-grit sandpaper. After this he wiped down the frame and applied more stain with a rag.
Once the stain dried (30 minutes), Joe applied one coat of the polyurethane. After waiting another 30 minutes, he lightly sanded the frame with a 225-grit paper. He then put on a final coat of poly. Ideally I would put 3 coats on for better coverage, but time was of the essence.
After the poly was dry, we flipped the frame over and used the gorilla glue to attach the mirror to the frame. Next we put on the hanging hardware, which I’ll have to upload a picture of later.
Here’s how the mirror turned out. Check back soon to see how it looks in his pad!