In this step-by-step guide I’m going to remove and re-frame a cheap full length mirror for under $40 bucks!
Here’s a breakdown of what you would need to do this yourself…
- Tape Measure
- Flathead Screwdriver
- Masking Tape
- Wood Glue
- Wood Filler
- Orbital Sander/Sanding Block
- Miter Saw
- Hearing Protection
- Safety Glasses
- 2 – 1″x4″x8′ Pine
- New or Used Mirror
- Rust-Oleum “Dark Walnut” Wood Stain
- Water-Based Polyurethane/Polycrylic Clearcoat
This mirror was about 10-15 bucks at target. It’s got a cheap synthetic plastic wood frame…so let’s get rid of it! The most important thing when removing the existing frame is to not break the mirror! It’s not a high-end piece of glass. In fact it’s super flimsy. So i’m going to treat it like a baby dove.
Take a flathead screwdriver and slowly make your way around the frame. Once the first piece is off, the rest should come off rather easily.
Now i’m using the same screwdriver to (gently) scrape off some of the remaining glue.
I’m putting a 1/4″ masking tape border around the frame. This will help keep the edges from breaking off. Also, if it does break this should help keep it from breaking into a bunch of pieces. I’m going to frame right over the tape.
Similar to the DIY picture frames I made last month, I’m going to measure the inside dimension and add the width of the wood to get my outside dimensions. Then I’m going to cut the pieces at 45 degrees so they fit together like apples and peanut butter (the best snack ever!).
The mirror itself measures 12″x47-5/8″. I’m going to leave about an inch overlap to secure the mirror, so my frame’s inside dimension will be 11″x46″. I measure my pieces and make the cuts.
I’m going to clamp & glue these tonight. Tomorrow I’ll finish things up!
It was cold and windy today, but I managed to sand down the frame and throw some wood filler in some of the knots and a tiny bit in the miter joints. The frame fit together perfectly so not much filler was needed.
All sanded and wiped down.
I’ve been surfing some sites and found a few nice projects that used rust-oleum dark walnut stain. After searching for it in every major hardware store, the only store that carried the stain was Lowes. I’m pretty pumped about it. It’s fast drying, so you can poly 1hr after your last coat!
The stain gives it a really nice look. Though some of the wood glue at the joints wouldn’t take the stain…so I may have to sand down a few spots.
I distressed some of the edges. And now i’m going to add some “character” to the frame by…
Beating it repeatedly with this screwdriver…
And this rubber mallet…
And this paint-bucket opener…
Now i’m going to wipe it down and throw some clearcoat on!
Alright, time for the big reveal…